Sunday, November 30, 2014

Books of Bayern wrap-up

     Well, this November of blog reviews actually went really well for me - I was busy with NaNoWriMo, trying to write 50,000  words. But I had the idea of writing all these reviews in October, so I just posted them whenever I remembered to in November. Worked really well, and gave me enough time to complete my NaNoWriMo challenge. Yay!

     The Books of Bayern have been really fun to review, and they're a favorite series of mine. Each one is different and still satisfying and enjoyable. My two sisters, M and Jo, have read them all as well, and I thought it would be interesting to figure out which book each of us liked best, since it reflects our tastes as readers.

     M is fourteen. She likes to have a good time, loves laughing, and fun action. The three top things she likes in a book are humor, well-developed characters, and a believable villain. Her favorite of the Books of Bayern is River Secrets. Razo fills the humor category, and all the characters are well-developed, as in all of Shannon Hale's books. The villain of River Secrets was believable, but I won't tell you how, since that would spoil the story for you.

     Jo is thirteen. She enjoys dramatic stories and interesting adventures. The top three things she likes in a book are villains with a real purpose, not people who are bad for the fun of it. She also likes good, sound romance, not the fluffy, fake kind. Finally, the characters have to work - and maybe suffer - in order to achieve their goals, otherwise she's not impressed. Her favorite is Enna Burning, and that book fits all her top 3's very well - particularly the characters working and suffering.

     I'm seventeen. I like fantasy stories, a varied cast of interesting characters, and a plot with many layers. The top three things I want to find in a book are strong plots, good themes to add an extra, subtle dimension to the story, and finally I like for the characters to make personal journeys. My favorite of the Books of Bayern is Forest Born, and I would say it reflects every one of my top 3 very well.

     Anyway, those are our top favorite Books of Bayern, and some of our favorite things to find in books. Hopefully this was a useful addition to the Books of Bayern series review. As you can see, we all preferred a different book out of the series, but we all agree that the series is very, very good. At the risk of repeating myself, it's well worth looking into and reading.

4 comments:

  1. My nano wrimo stalled out at 35,868 of 50,000 while I was visiting you guys for a week. Nano wrimo - seperates the writers from the dabblers, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you finished yours, and I like your review series. Great job, sis!

      Delete
    2. Only counts if you finish it. ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the compliment, though, Eli! It means a lot to me.

      Delete