Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Burning Bridge - 5 stars!

     The Burning Bridge is the second book in The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I found these books when I was 12, and I've been absolutely in love with them ever since. The entire series are action-packed and full of interesting characters. They're exciting to read, and Flanagan writes in a style that's both descriptive and inviting. And he's funny. In my book, that counts for a lot. 

     The Ranger's Apprentice series is a must-have addition to your bookshelf or library. It's a 13-book series that follows Will, the original Ranger's apprentice, through his life as he grows from an apprentice to a real Ranger. His mentor, Halt, is an amazing character and one of my favorites out of the whole series. Other characters that accompany Will on his journey are Horace, a knight-in-training, Evanlyn, the princess of Araluen, Gilan, Halt's first apprentice, and Pauline and Alyss, a lady diplomat and her protege. All of them are characters I can and have related to over the course of the series, but out of all the books, The Burning Bridge is probably my favorite. In this book, the story of Will is really only just beginning, and he's already showing his promise as a Ranger. The cast of characters are gathering around him, and Will is faced with the problem of saving the kingdom of Araluen from an enemy that was supposed to have been powerless. 


     One thing I have to point out is that Will isn't training to become a forest ranger or anything like that. Araluen, Will's homeland, is a fictional kingdom in a fictional world something like medieval Europe. The Rangers of Araluen are an elite group of fighters, trackers, secret agents, and law enforcers. They are loyal to the King of Araluen and roam about Araluen making sure the law is kept, and when Araluen is at war they are invaluable as intelligence gatherers and generals. The Rangers are highly skilled archers and are able to walk without a sound and remain unseen in plain sight. They ride special horses, wear special cloaks, and use special weapons. Some people think of them as sorcerers because they seem like magic. Will has to learn everything a Ranger should know, and he uses all those skills on his adventures. The secret of becoming a Ranger is part of what makes these books such a great read. I highly recommend them.


     The Burning Bridge - and all the other Ranger's Apprentice books - have no inappropriate content in them. I would say the books are aimed at kids between 8 and 14, but I think they're also a pleasing and very compelling read for all ages. They don't use complicated language, so younger kids can comprehend them easily, but the story is far from shallow. Elements of romance, adventure, and battles show up, including one moment when Horace, Will's best friend, goes into one-on-one combat with the villain. That's a very suspenseful scene, and probably one of the highlights of the entire story. 


     Oh, and something I almost forgot to mention. The Burning Bridge has an extremely powerful cliffhanger ending. So you'll want to get the next book right away to find out what happens. 

Link to Ranger's Apprentice website: http://www.worldofjohnflanagan.com/rangers-apprentice/

7 comments:

  1. I requested the first three books of this series from the library, and I can't wait to read them! You got me really excited to check them out. I'm so glad you did a review on The Ranger's Apprentice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I did. I promise they're very good. You won't be disappointed. :)

      Delete
    2. I am on Book #4, The Battle for Skandia, so far. These are the best books I have EVER read!!!!! I've read many books, too. ;D The Burning Bridge was very, very, very good. I am recommending the Ranger's Apprentice to all of my friends! I can't say how much I'm loving them! :D

      Delete
    3. So glad to hear that! I've loved them ever since I read the first three. :)

      Delete
    4. My favorite character is Halt, but I also like Will, of course, and Evanlyn (Princess Cassandra). :D

      Delete
    5. Halt and Will are my favorites, but I've got a soft spot for Gilan and Horace as well. :D And Evanlyn is great, too. She's got a lot of spunk!

      Delete
    6. I really like Gilan! :D He's very likable. ;) Evanlyn really is awesome. They are all such great characters!!!

      Delete